6 Tips To Revamp Your Wardrobe For the New Year
Let's get a head count: How many people out there have a closet full of clothes, but every time you go to pick out an outfit, all you can think is, “Why do I have absolutely nothing to wear!?” Sound familiar? As much as we’d love to start fresh in the wardrobe department this new year, our wallets are still recovering from December (You can thank the holidays for that one). Still, 2016 calls for a serious closet makeover, which means we have to do everything we can to be as strategic as possible when revamping our wardrobes for the new year! If you do it the right way, you can easily reinvent your style without spending too much money. The key to renewing your wardrobe for the new year is to find elements that can be mixed, matched, and paired with pieces you already have to create entirely new looks! Check out these 6 tips that will help revamp your wardrobe and get you ready to take on 2016 in style!
1) Out with the old. It’s time to sort through your closet hanger-by-hanger to rid yourself of the clothes you don’t absolutely need. We’re all guilty of holding onto items for far too long — You never wear that palm tree tank in the back of your closet, but you can’t throw it away because you wore it in Hawaii when you were 16 and aren’t ready to toss the memory. Sorry ladies, but if you can’t see yourself wearing it more than once in 2016, toss it in the ‘give away’ pile and never look back.
2) Find influence. Every fashionista needs an icon to look up to! Go back to the basics and find a style icon to draw inspiration from. Whether your style resonates with Marilyn Monroe’s chic trends, Elizabeth Taylor’s elegant ensembles, or Jackie O’s classic sophistication, having a fellow fashion-lover to look up to will help solidify your style and wardrobe!
3) Get organized. Once you have a selection of clothes you’ll actually wear, it’s time to get down to business and make everything visible. Face the hangers in the same direction, sort clothes by the length of the sleeves, and then organize based on color. That way, when you’re ready to finalize your closet for the new year, you’ll know exactly where you’re lacking, what colors you need more of, and what items you need to make your wardrobe ready for the new year.
4) Be creative. One of the easiest ways to revamp your already existing wardrobe is to get creative! That button-down shirt you usually wear by itself? Unbutton it and throw it on over another blouse. Mix, match, and switch around your clothes to see what you can come up with — You might be surprised as to how many new looks you can create!
5) Live in style. The only way to stay up-to-date with the ever changing fashion industry is to live and breathe it. Read through blogs on a daily basis, browse editorials, and follow as many fashion-related Instagram accounts as you can, even if they don’t reflect your personal style! Being in the know with the latest trends, must-have pieces, and top influencers will get you in the mindset for a stylish 2016.
6) In with the new. Lastly, find a few must-have articles of clothing to add to your wardrobe for the new year. If you’re brave enough, purchase a couple of out of the box items that will take your wardrobe from drab to fab. That way, when you’re looking over your revamped 2016 wardrobe, you’ll actually notice the before and after results! Below are our favorite investment pieces.